Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Wet Feet

I knew they would come back.  I just has no idea when, how or what they would be.  Today is my day 1 again.  I love day ones.  Over the past couple of days He has been whispering....answers to things that I have been asking.  Answering questions that really only open doors to greater questions...but still.  Wait...and wet feet.  This struck me so yesterday....it is sticking to me like real answers do.  A short devotional story from Max Lucado's book Grace.  It speaks of Jesus and the Last Supper.  Jesus, doing what He was called to do...show God's love through service, through the breaking, through the tasks that no one wants to do, but that sometimes we must in order for God's will to be revealed....

"Jesus -- CEO, head coach, king of the world, sovereign of the seas -- washed feet.

Even Judas. The lying, conniving, greedy rat who sold Jesus down the river for a pocket of cash. Jesus won't wash his feet, will he? Sure hope not. If he washes the feet of his Judas, you will have to wash the feet of yours. Your betrayer. That ne'er-do-well, that good-for-nothing villain. Jesus' Judas walked away with thirty pieces of silver. Your Judas walked away with your virginity, security, spouse, job, child- hood, retirement, investments

You expect me to wash his feet and let him go?

Most people don't want to. They use the villain’s photo as a dart target. Their Vesuvius blows up every now and again, sending hate airborne, polluting and stinking the world. Most people keep a pot of anger on low boil.

But you aren't "most people." Grace has happened to you. Look at your feet. They are wet, grace soaked. Your toes and arches and heels have felt the cool basin of God's grace. Jesus has washed the grimiest parts of your life. He didn't bypass you and carry the basin toward someone else. If grace were a wheat field, he's bequeathed you the state of Kansas. Can't you share your grace with others?

"Since I, the Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other's feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you" (John 13:14–15 NLT).

To accept grace is to accept the vow to give it."

Yes, I'm not standing here with lightly watered feet, no.....I'm up to my ears in it.  Soaked in His grace and forgiveness.  How can you not call to another, extending a hand to help them to also step into this great ocean of His love and forgiveness?  It's not mine to pick what He should do, who He should send along side. If I am busy washing the feet of those He does send, then I am not towering over in comparison.  I am set low and looking at what makes us all the same...hands and feet.  Thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment