Friday, March 8, 2013

The Darkest Night

Isaiah 53:11-12 MSG

Out of that terrible travail of soul,
he’ll see that it’s worth it and be glad he did it.
Through what he experienced, my righteous one, my servant,
will make many “righteous ones,”
as he himself carries the burden of their sins.
Therefore I’ll reward him extravagantly—
the best of everything, the highest honors—
Because he looked death in the face and didn’t flinch,
because he embraced the company of the lowest.
He took on his own shoulders the sin of the many,
he took up the cause of all the black sheep.

I was reading this morning, this scripture, about Jesus and what He did when He died for our sins.  And as I read this I am reminded, we are called to share in His suffering.  No, we are not dying for the sins of the world.  He did that.  He alone died for our salvation.  But when we are called to suffer as He did, die to the flesh for the benefit of others, that pain can be excruciating. 

When our struggles call others to Him, when we then carry the burdens of others on our shoulders in prayer, when we then seek to serve those who may cause us pain so that they may see God in His most human form, when we love those who others might say are unlovable at times....even when they wound, even when we don't understand, even when the pain is so great we fear we may collapse, but say Your will Lord above my own...we then share in His suffering.  And today I also needed to be reminded that I will share in His glory. 

For the story did not end with tears, but with triumph.  His will triumphed.  His planned won out.  His purpose was fulfilled.  And so will His purpose for my life be when I walk the path He chooses for me in obedience.  As much as it feels like it, this will not last forever.  And it's purpose is to share with others the truth that my own heart knows.  I am nothing without You Lord. 

*************************************************************

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment