Friday, February 28, 2014

Bread

I think about them each morning. These ones He has brought across our path and into our lives. I see how she listens to what they say, how they live their day to day. They think my lunch is weird....perhaps. It's the same lunch I have made for 10 years now. 10 years. And I am reminded that in our days of plenty I was not so easily swayed, so concerned, so curious. Heart changes occur and we don't even notice sometimes. As she would talk about them, their families, their ways, even when they made fun of her, she didn't care. She knew deep down I suppose that sometimes we scoff and poke and jeer at things we so desperately desire, especially when we see it in the hands of another. So what to do, what to do? Share. And so it began. My girl would share that which she had with those who didn't. And at first my concern was my child being hungry, but it turned into a concern for another's child being hungry. My girl shared because she knew....she knew....there is more. There is plenty. She had never known want. And so she knew she could be filled up quite easily. And so I whispered thanks that even on the not-so-great-start morning, I packed extra, because we have plenty. Because when you break bread, share the pieces of what you have to give, there is always leftovers. More than enough. Curious hands share cucumbers and carrots and apples and strawberries. Baby sandwiches because we all like surprises and changing it up and I get to pretend like I'm an awesome chef ;) well, I am a good lunch maker. And so I am inspired by the actions of my girl because they remind me of the words He says.....stretch out your tents.....  When I read the words of Isaiah I get weepy.....

Isaiah 49:18, 21 Raise your head, lift up your eyes,and watch your heart’s desire come—All your children, gathered and returning to you. As I live, so I promise.You will wear them with pride all like shining ornaments;you will put them on as a bride on her wedding day. You’ll say to yourself, “Where in the world did all these people come from?Could these really be mine?I thought I’d been desolated, left empty.Where have you all been? Where did you come from?” 

Beautiful promise, big bold prayers, breakfasts and lunches, notes on napkins, all showing His love for them, for me. God's words inspire me to do more, to reach out, to see beyond my own door.  These children inspire me because they are beautiful bundles of promise and such a privilege it is to sow into them how much they are loved by a God perhaps they haven't been introduced to yet. Thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment