Thursday, May 9, 2013

Plan B

Exodus 14......I've been pondering a lot about Moses and the Israelites.  I go there a lot.  I can relate to this story in the Bible on so many levels.

God was leading His people out of bondage!!  WooHoo!!!  Hands held high, they marched outta there faster than you could say go.  BUT GOD......decided He had a better plan than what they imagined.....sounds vaguely familiar.....
He hardened Pharaoh's heart and made him wonder what in the the world was I thinking?!?!?!  Let them go!?!? Heck No!!!  So he sent 600 of his best men and chariots... 600....that's a really big army coming after you and the Israelites were SCARED! 
What the heck did we just agree to??  Why did we come out here to die when we could have just stayed in the comfort of our own bondage and died just as well!!  How many times have I said that?  "Really Lord?? This is somehow better?  You decided this was the best path for me?  Can't You see that I'm scared?  I thought this was the right way and now I don't understand what's happening!!".
Most of the time, we don't see God's plan.  And when we look at a situation that makes no sense at all and looks like it's going to destroy us, we get fearful.  Just like they did.  In verses 13 and 14 Moses says enough of this!!  Stop being fearful!  The LORD YOUR GOD, will fight for you.  You need only be still.  The enemy you see today you won't ever see again.  And then God told Moses to stop calling and go into action.  Lead.  Go.  MOVE. 
Sometimes we need to stand still.  Sometimes we just need to move forward.  Even when it looks like we are about to drown. And God has a habit of changing it up on us, so we depend on Him.  So we are constantly attuned to His Voice.....because God had a plan.  To save His people and wipe out the enemy, all at the same time.  It didn't make sense.  No one would have believed it beforehand most likely and God wanted to show His glory and power so there would be no doubt WHO did the rescuing....not to Pharaoh and not to His people. 
God's ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts.  I am reminding myself of that here in the past couple of days.  His plans are for my good, not harm.  But when that sea is before me and the impossibilities starts pressing in, I get fearful.  And even though I have seen His miracles in action in my own life first hand, just like the stubborn Israelites, at times I begin to grumble....like they do in one short chapter over...Exodus 15.  But that's another story for another day....
I want to remember God's miracles, His promises to me.  I want to remind myself of all the good things He has done and all the good things I believe deep down will come from this.  Even while I'm staring at this ocean in front of me that I have no idea how to cross and going back is certainly NOT an option.  I will be still, I will let Him fight for me and be waiting for the time when He says...now move.

1 comment: