Sunday, October 27, 2013

31 Days of Encouragement - Sunday Scripture

Exodus 14:19-20 (Voice)

19 God’s messenger, who had been out front leading the people of Israel, moved to protect the rear of the company; the cloud pillar moved with him from the front to the back of them. 20 The cloud pillar took its position between Egypt’s and Israel’s camps. The cloud cast darkness by day yet it lit up the sky by night. As a result, the Egyptians never got close to the Israelites the entire night. 

I was looking for something entirely different this morning, when I started reading this verse, something stuck with me.  When the Israelites got to their miracle, first they got scared.  They didn't know they were at their miracle.  God told them just be still.  What was in this day, would not be ever again.  It was coming.  But in the darkness with the enemy seemingly winning and nowhere to run, it felt like the Lord had led them to destruction, not to deliverance.

All the while it seems, as God led them out, He had sent a messenger to lead them.  And before the deliverance, he moved.  God's messenger moved to the weakest point, where they were most vulnerable. And what had been sent to lead them, moved behind to protect them.  The cloud that led them served as a barrier, the messenger, their protection.

I get a little confused at times when I am up against something and it seems like I have no direction again, like I've been left to figure it out on my own.  This reminded me that sometimes, He already has the way ahead set.  Like the Israelites, sometimes there is only one way to go forward and what we need is protection not from what we face, but to keep us from running backwards, to hold us while He works forward on our behalf.  Exodus 14:14 told them that the Lord would fight for them, they just had to be still.  He was making a way.  But movement forward outside of God's timing would have sent them drowning and movement backwards would have been death too.  Sometimes He closes us in.  Maybe you feel like that today.  I'm feeling a little trapped between what was and what is coming myself.  It makes me a bit anxious. But He meets us where we are you and me.  Learning to trust when it seems like all is lost is a hard one. But we can do this.  He has set us up for success.  Let's hold fast to what we know and His character.  He's got us wrapped up in His protection.  Thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment