Wednesday, October 30, 2013

31 Days of Encouragement - Watch

Daniel 6: 17-22
17 Daniel was thrown into the lions’ den and a stone was brought in and placed over the opening to shut the mouth of the den. The king himself sealed it with his own signet ring and with the signets of his nobles. That way no one could tamper with the pit and nothing could happen to change Daniel’s fate. 18 The king retired to his palace and spent the night fasting. That evening he stayed to himself, turning down his regular evening musical entertainment. When he finally went to bed, he could not sleep. 19 When first light of morning finally arrived, the king got up and didn’t waste any time returning to the lions’ den. Darius can hardly wait to see what has happened to Daniel, who has become indispensable to the king. 20 As he drew near the den, with anguish in his voice he called out to Daniel, hoping somehow he was still alive. Darius: Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, the One you have served so faithfully, been able to rescue you from these hungry lions?

Daniel (to the king): 21 Long live the king! 22 As soon as you shut the mouth of this den, My God sent His heavenly representative to shut the mouths of these hungry lions so that they could not hurt me. He has rescued me because I am as innocent before Him as I am before you, O king. I have done you no harm.

Daniel 6

I was reading about Daniel in the 6th book of, well, Daniel.  And the commentary that I was reading along with it suggested something interesting.  Yes, the story of Daniel himself is interesting and exciting...a nail biter :)  But if you look past it, you see the story of the King.  You see Daniel knew God, His character and what He could do.  And he was at peace during this trial by lion.  But the King....he was up all night!  Wondering and worrying, what would happen.  Surely this God of Daniel's would save him...surely He would rescue him.  And he watched.  How many times does God call us to go through things and, of course, it changes us, strengthens our faith, calls us into a deeper relationship with Him.  But maybe these moments are less about us and way more about others, those who maybe be watching.  Those who see us day in and day out, go through things that seem unfair and downright awful at times, but how do we respond?  I don't always get it right.  But as I look back over the past year, the things I have faced, what He's asked of me, I can only pray that He has been glorified and that as much as it has changed me, it would serve more to turn hearts to the One who can shut the mouths of lions...and we need only be still.  Thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment